[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] problems with testing lxde-meta

Dru Lavigne drulavigne at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 20 10:06:51 PDT 2010

The 32 bit version of lxde-meta installs fine and goes into kdm no problem if I create a /usr/local/kde4/share/apps/kdm/sessions/lxde.desktop. However, there is very little to LXDE once I log in.

For example, the only thing I get shown in these screenshots (http://lxde.org/image_galleries/screenshots) is PCManFM (e.g. no Panel, Splash, Launcher, etc.). I had to right-click the desktop to get to Applications -> PCManFM. The only 2 other applications are Xterm (which works) and Firefox (which did not as not installed on this test system).

I get dbus errors when I try to launch any KDE program from the xterm. For example:

dolphin (or /usr/local/kde4/bin/dolphin)
<Unknown program name>(29605)/:KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server: "/Programs/lxde-meta/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the following error: EOF in dbus-launch reading address from bus daemon"
<Unknown program name>(29604)/:KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.

konqueror
konqueror(30177): Session bus not found
KCrash: Application 'konqueror' crashing...
sock_file=/home/dru/.kde4/socket-pcbsd-4537/kdeinit4__0
Warning: connect() failed: No such file or directory
KCrash cannot reach kdeinit, launching directly.
drkonqi(30182): Session bus not found

Also, the LXDE logout menu appears, but logout does not work (shutdown and reboot do but then the system hangs when starting X).

However, the port for lxde-meta seems to work fine (installs the panel, the pc-bsd desktop icons, logout works, etc.). I suspect the PBI is missing some runtime or configuration stuff.

I have not tested the 64-bit PBI.

Cheers,

Dru