[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Asynchronous PBI Update Manager

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Thu Oct 14 06:14:23 PDT 2010

  On 10/13/2010 18:42, Sam Lin wrote:
> Just a quick follow-up. I have now removed the old version of PBI
> Creator (6.01) and was intended to install 6.02 in Update Manager, but
> then somehow it cannot be downloaded as shown in the attached
> snapshot.
>
> Is there any particular downtime for PBI server in each day/week or whatsoever?
>
> This is just my guess, but if this is because the new version of PBI
> is being uploaded, then it would be best get Update Manager and
> pbidir.com not to inform/show the new versions until the upload is
> finished and is ready for users to access/download, as otherwise this
> would be very confusing for users.
>
> Regards,
> Sam
>

>> Message: 3
>> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:29:05 +1300
>> From: Sam Lin<semin2006 at gmail.com>
>> To: pbi-dev at lists.pcbsd.org
>> Subject: [PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Asynchronous PBI Update Manager
>>
>> Dear PC-BSD fellows,
>>
>> Somehow my PBI Update Manager appears to behave improperly. As shown
>> in the attached snapshot, the task icon shows that PBI Creator 6.02 is
>> available, whereas when I launch PC-BSD Update Manager it thinks that
>> there is no update available for my current PBI Creator (6.01). On
>> pbidir.com a new version of PBI Creator (6.02) does exist but somehow
>> this is not reflected in my local Update Manager.
>>
>> Something wrong with PBI Update Manager server or client?
>>

>> Regards,
>> Sam

Sam,
     Usually there is a period of ~24 hours between when the PBI/update
is uploaded to PBIDIR and when the mirrors actually begin carrying the
PBI/update. I have noticed that during this time you get the "Download
Failed, please try again later" message if the mirror you have chosen
has not synchronized yet. You could try using the "isc.org" mirror, as I
noticed that one usually updates fairly quickly, but if that fails you
just might need to wait a few hours.

You should find the same thing with the files on PBIDIR as well. if you
actually try to download the PBI immediately after release, the mirror
will say that it can't find the file. I know that we talked about
putting a 24 hour delay on the software manager, but I don't think that
ever happened. I do think it would be a good idea though as it will
prevent the exact problems that you are experiencing now.

Anyway, I hope this helps answer your question.

~Ken Moore