[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Synergy modules

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Mon Oct 4 18:56:10 PDT 2010

On 10/02/2010 13:11, Jesse Smith wrote:
> Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> Today I offer you a great two-for-one deal on Synergy PBI modules.
> Please find attached two modules, Synergy-Plus, a utility for sharing a
> keyboard and mouse with multiple machines. The other module is Quick
> Synergy, which is a GUI configuration tool for Synergy-Plus.
>
> Synergy-Plus is a command line tool and I have tried to set it up as
> such in the menu entry.
>
> The Quick Synergy program relies on having Synergy-Plus present, so I've
> included Synergy-Plus as a required port in the pbi.conf file.
>
> Both of these PBIs were requested in this forum thread:
> http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=13660
>
> Please let me know if you have any questions,
> Jesse

I just added both the Synergy-plus and the quicksynergy modules to the
server.

One quick note about text-based programs:
Usually it is best not to create a desktop icon for a command line
application. One quick reason for this is that the "ExeRunShell" option
does not always work, and I believe it will be disappearing with the 9.x
PBI's.
One other reason is that if a user wants to run a command-line
application, that user should know how to get to the command line,
otherwise there might be even bigger problems with regard to user
capabilities :-)

Anyway, I disabled the desktop icon for synergy-plus; especially since
there will be a GUI PBI available as well (quicksynergy)

One thing I do want to point out is that each of these two PBI's should
be completely independant of the other. We are going to put both up
though because the command-line application is usually a lot smaller and
more tech-savvy people might prefer it to the GUI option.

Thanks for the modules Jesse!

~Ken Moore