[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] New module

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Mon Nov 29 09:33:35 PST 2010

Jesse,

I just add the gmt module to the server and I added a desktop icon since
you did not have one.

I do want to point out however that this port is marked as being broken
for 32-bit builds (look it up on www.freshports.com). So it will only
build for 64-bit PBI's.

I also looked at your 9.x module, and there are a couple things you will
probably want to add to your pbi building tool.

1: you probably want the ability to include the desktop entry (in
xdg-desktop/)

2: you also want the entry for the menu entries (in xdg-menu/)

These two files are the equivilant of the kmenu-dir/ file from the 8.x
format, but now the destop icon and the menu entry could be different
(if so desired).

The only difference between the two of them is really the last line
(catagories) for the menu entry. For some good example for the 9.x
format, check out this page:
http://trac.pcbsd.org/browser/pcbsd/current/src-sh/pbi-manager/module-examples

There is also a simple tool there called convertoldmod.sh that can be
used to convert a 8.x module to a 9.x module if you want to check it
out.

Thanks for the module!

~Ken Moore

Ken,

Thanks for the tips. Originally I did have a menu and desktop entry in
the version 9 module, but I took them out since GMT is a console-only
app. Since I set the version 8 module to not display a desktop/menu
icon, I decided to do the same with the version 9 module this time
around. Should those files be in place for a console-only app?

You're right, the port is marked as broken for i386 on Freshpots, which
I find odd. I built the port on my machine and I'm running on the i386
edition of PC-BSD. The Freshports entry also says a package isn't
available, but I just performed a "pkg_add -r -v gmt" and it installed
with no problems. Maybe Freshports is out of date?

Thanks for the links, I'll take a look at the different categories and
see if I can fix some things with my program.

Jesse