[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] "Emacs+ESS+R"... need suggestion

Sam Lin semin2006 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 21:10:01 PST 2010

Dear PCBSD fellows,

As a researcher it is very crucial to statistically analyse the data
obtained in our research work. I have recently successfully set up a
statistical environment on my PCBSD system with Emacs+ESS+R and would
like to build a pbi for the statistical environment. Here I would like
to here your advice.

As some of you may have known, Emacs is a multipurpose editor, ESS
(Emacs Speaks Statistics) is an Emacs package of modes for statistical
languages, and R is a programming language and software environment
for statistical computing and graphics. That said, except for ESS
which is a "plug-in" for Emacs and R, Emacs and R are in fact
individual software and the ports/pbi for these two have also existed.
ESS does not exist in FreeBSD ports tree as of this writing.

My question is, do I ...

1. make a pbi for "Emacs+ESS+R" so as to integrate all these three
into just one "meta"-pbi and also so that on pbidir.com there is only
this one meta-pbi instead of separate "Emacs" and "R" pbis? Or...

2. make them separately so there would be "Emacs+ESS", "ESS" and "R"
pbis? (BTW I don't think there is point to make a pbi for ESS alone as
ESS itself cannot do anything unless you have Emacs and at least one
statistical package, but just in case) Or...

3. do both 1 and 2 so as to provide more options for the users?

The option 1 is to make building a statistical environment as easy as
one step (only one pbi) and perhaps would also make some pbis at
pbidir.com less redundant... otherwise users may be confused by the
difference among "Emacs" "R" and "Emacs+ESS+R". Or perhaps this
confuse can be minimised by giving this meta-pbi a name like "PCBSD
statistical package" or likewise?

The reason for the option 2 is that considering that some users may
have installed "R" or "Emacs" and they may only be willing to install
the missing software to build the statistical environment. After all
it is not preferable to overwrite an existing folder for a pbi with
another pbi that appeared the same.

Which one would be preferred in terms of pbi management?

Thanks

Sam