[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Automated PBI module building

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Wed Jun 23 08:22:02 PDT 2010

Hi list,

I've been playing around with the idea of automating the process of
taking a FreeBSD port and making a PBI module. There are a few snags to
work out, but I think good progress has been made.

Please find attached my first attempt at a automation process. The
PBImaker program should be able handle simple ports.

To compile PBImaker (that's my unimaginative name for the program) save
the attachment and run

tar zxf pbimaker-0.1.tar.gz
cd PBImaker
gmake

To test PBImaker on a port run

./pbimaker /usr/port/category/port_name

At the moment, PBImaker logs all of its progress and errors to stdout.
This will be more flexible in future versions. The program does some
tests on the environment, puts "make" into batch mode, tries to harvest
as much data from the original port as possible and then builds the
port. If everything goes well, PBImaker then creates a module template
and fills in as many blanks as it can. It then cleans up after itself a
bit, including restoring the previous "make" configuration.

At the moment, PBImaker has some trouble figuring out the port's author
and the icon for the Kmenu, but otherwise has done well on the ports
I've used as test runs.

Of special note, please only try to build one module at a time. PBImaker
will probably give really weird (read: unwanted) results if multiple
modules are built in parallel. It *can* run in serial though, so you can
create a simple script to build multiple ports one *after* another.

Your feedback is welcome,
Jesse