[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Two ports in one PBI

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Jul 28 06:20:08 PDT 2010

On 07/27/2010 15:44, Jesse Smith wrote:
> Hello PBIers,
>
> I have a question about setting up a PBI module. I have two ports, one supplies a program. The second port supplies the data files required by the program. The data files change very rarely.
>
> To my mind, this means there should be two PBIs. One PBI for the program and another which would contain the data files. The catch is, the program replies on the data files to run properly. (So one PBI would have to depend on the other, which sort of flies in the face of PBI philosophy, but I digress.)
>
> My question is: should I combine both ports into one PBI file? Or should I keep them separate? If I keep the data and executable in separate PBIs, can I set a flag to make sure installing the program PBI causes the data PBI to be installed also?
>
> It looks like the module variable OTHERPBI is designed for this purpose, but I think it forces both ports into one PBI.(?)
>
> Would appreciate some suggestions on the proper way to handle this situation. Thanks.
>
> - Jesse

This is a pretty normal thing, also you may run into some apps which has
several port plugins you want to include as well. In this case you want
to set the main program port to be the target and use the OTHERPBI= as
you mentioned. Any ports you specify in "OTHERPBI" will also get built +
included, and you can even create kmenu-dir entries for them if you need
it.