[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Graphical Ports Manager

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Mon Jul 12 12:03:30 PDT 2010

The idea of a graphical front end to the Ports system was mentioned on the forum. Following up on that, I tried the DesktopBSD-tools package and found that it's pretty close to what I was looking for. I think it makes a nice compliment to the PC-BSD Software Manager.

(I hope that's not cross-os blasphemy.)

At any rate, I've put together a PBI module for the -tools package. Most of the items in the Port already have equivalents in PC-BSD/KDE4, so I only made an icon for the package manager. Everything else seemed unneeded.

I had to add a Setup script in the overlay-dir, which creates a file required for the package manager to function on PC-BSD.

Everything seems to work okay on my machine, but I'm open to suggestions. Especially concerning the extra binaries in the port.

- Jesse