[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Delta PBIs?

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Sun Aug 22 17:05:15 PDT 2010

I think most of the effort could be automated. Something along the line
of.

1. New PBI package is made for program ABC.
2. The old package is moved to a folder for "old versions".
3. The new version is placed in the repo.
4. A script figured out which files are different between the two and
creates a delta PBI file.
5. The client's package manager checks to see if it has package ABC
version current -1. If it does, then it grabs the delta bundle. If it is
further out of date, it grabs the full version.

Of course, it always sounds easier on (virtual) paper, but I think the
over-all logic is fairly straight forward. Ideally, the packager
wouldn't have to do anything extra, the script would rotate out old
packages and create the delta. (And politicians would all be honest and
little girls would all get free ponies while I'm at it.)

- Jesse