[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Delta PBIs?

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Sun Aug 22 15:25:41 PDT 2010

Since the PBI format is undergoing some changes for version 9, I'd like
to put forward the idea of delta-PBIs -- a way to package just the
changes between one PBI and its updated version.

One of the few complaints from end users about PBIs is the size of the
package. And I'm fairly certain that most of a PBI's data between one
version and the next will be fairly similar. Firefox, for instance, goes
up a minor point release every few weeks and each download is around
75MB.

Obviously, given the rolling nature of the Ports system, there would
have to be a cut-off, but I think if we could offer delta-PBI packages
between just the previous release and the current one, it would cut down
on the bandwidth required by the client and by the PC-BSD project.

Again, take Firefox. If that package could by only cut in half it would
save around 37MB per user, per update.

Any comments on this idea?
Jesse