[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] ThinClientServer pbi

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Fri Mar 6 16:20:20 PST 2009

Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> greetings.
> i've recently been experimenting a little with the ThinClientServer PBI.
> i'd like to explore using it as a base for additional customizations.
> where is the source code used for building the ThinClientServer PBI? i
> tried looking for it at http://trac.pcbsd.org/browser and i couldn't
> find the parts specific to ThinClientServer.
> i've maintained the LTSP (http://ltsp.org) packages in Debian for the
> past few years, and was looking at porting some of the code over to
> PC-BSD and/or FreeBSD, though admittedly my skills with PC-BSD and
> FreeBSD are weak at this point.
> one starting point would be the login manager, LDM:
> http://packages.debian.org/lenny/ldm
> older versions of LDM at least compiled on Debian's GNU/kFreeBSD port,
> though recent versions apparently introduced some system calls not
> available with a FreeBSD kernel.
> it may also be interesting to get a port of LTSPFS, although i'm not
> sure if the FUSE implementation for FreeBSD would require many code
> changes to LTSPFS:
> http://packages.debian.org/lenny/ltspfs
> thanks!
> live well,
>   vagrant

We'd be glad to have your help! The source code for TCS is available
right here:

It is actually built using the pbi-builder software, which compiles
FreeBSD ports, and converts them into a working PBI file:

I'm actually just triggered a rebuild of TCS, which adds support for
creating, testing, and saving xorg configurations for the various
thin-clients on the server via sftp. It should build sometime this
weekend, and be available on our pbi upload page for testing:

If you would like to take a look at it, and suggest or submit any
changes, I'll be more than happy to work with you to improve it.