[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Bacula Bat changes

Silver Salonen silver.salonen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 02:37:19 PST 2009

On Tuesday 27 January 2009 18:52:03 Kris Moore wrote:
> Silver Salonen wrote:

> > without

PATH
> > for
> > new

> >> Yes, but I'm not speaking about binaries needed by Bat, but rather other
> > files
> >> (pixmaps and sample config) needed by user. And to assume that a user
should
> >> keep track on file locations based on what programs may be
(automatically)
> >> upgraded, is a bit unfriendly towards user. So these files should be
> > somewhere
> >> not dependent on program's version.
> >
> > So, any further thoughts on these folders?
> >

> I'm not sure I think that these files need to be installed in a 3rd
> party location. All the other programs I've built, when the binary is
> compiled, it understands to look in /Programs/<name>/share/pixmaps or
> icons/ properly, since the binary was compiled with those options. Are
> you anticipating a case where the user wants to add files manually to
> the programs tree? Shouldn't those be going in the users home dir, such
> as in .bacula-bat
>
> Anyway, thats my take on it, unless I'm misunderstanding your question.
> Maybe provide me an example where you would need to place pixmaps or
> sample configs in 3rd party locations.

An example: creating a launcher and assigning the icon to it. If the icon is
added to panel from KDE menu, does it change when KDE menu's item gets
updated?

And if binaries (also needed only by users, not by programs themselves) are
put into /Programs/bin/, why not to put other needed stuff (eg. pixmaps) into
other subfolders under /Programs?

--
Silver