[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Bacula Bat changes

Silver Salonen silver.salonen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 08:35:07 PST 2009

On Tuesday 20 January 2009 17:46:17 Kris Moore wrote:
> Silver Salonen wrote:
I'll

> >> Great! I've got a new version of the PBI builder which the changes
> >> require, you can grab it here:
> >>
> >> ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/pbi-builder/pbibuild-x86-pcbsd7-2.0.tbz
> >>
> >> You'll need to install it first, before re-building the module as it
> >> sits in SVN.
> >>
> >> Basically, what it changes, is that ports are compiled with a custom
> >> LOCALBASE set to /Programs/<PBIName> + <PBI Ver>
> >>
> >> This means you can include binaries / libs which may have caused compat
> >> problems with the desktop previously, such as kmdr-executor, since it
> >> will look in /Programs/<dir> for its internal data files now.
> >>
> >> This pbi builder is pretty stable, I plan on releasing it in the next
> >> week or so, just still putting it through the paces internally here :)
> >
> > Hello.
> >
> > I thought I'd create a separate thread for that ;)
> >
> > A few questions about your changes not concerning including kmdr-executor.
> >
> > 1) PBI.SetupScript.sh and PBI.RemoveScript.sh - I see you deleted parts
which
> > I used to put man, conf and pixmaps under /usr/local. The question is
why.. My
> > point in doing that was that locations of these files remain the same (ie.
get
> > updated too) when PBI is updated. Ie. I've put BaculaBat on my desktop,
but
> > when PBI is upgraded, location of pixmaps is changed, so I have to go and
grab
> > the icon from new location.
> > Also, currently I can't see "man bat", because manual page is not
installed -
> > wasn't this a requirement for PBIs? Even if it's not a requirement, why
not to
> > do it?
>

> We're in the process of moving all PBI related install files out of
> /usr/local if possible, and instead into /Programs/
>
> This is being done ahead of PC-BSD 7.1, in which /usr/local will ship
> empty, and the user will be able to install their own ports tree without
> it conflicting with PC-BSD related ports / PBIs. (The PC-BSD install
> will be done in /PCBSD/local now)
>
> In the case of your man pages, since /Programs/bin is in the users PATH
> variable, then you should be able to just do a mkdir /Programs/man (if
> it doesn't exist, it will on 7.1 by default), and install any man pages
> into there. This will keep things nice and tidy for the user :)

Thanks for clearing that up.
What about pixmaps and sample config (ie. etc/)? Will there be folders for
these too? If so, we could change BaculaBat to install/link things in new
places, couldn't we?

> > 2) copy-files - you changed: /usr/local/sbin/bat -> "/usr/local/sbin/b*
bin/"
> > and "/usr/local/sbin/*bacula* bin/". I guess you wanted to make PBI more
> > universal by that (in case anything is changed in Bacula Bat package or
smth),
> > but point is that my scripts used for launching Bat are dependent on "bat"
> > binary anyway, so there has to be some intervention in case binary change
> > anyway. So.. is this really needed?
>
> This may have not been needed, I was just trying to ensure that all bat
> / bacula files got copied over, but you can feel free to modify those as
> you see fit to clean them up further :)

OK, I just like to be very optimal, ie. to install only things that are sure
to be needed. I think I'd change it back..

--
Silver