[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Firefox3 won't start

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Jan 19 07:22:28 PST 2009

Silver Salonen wrote:
> On Monday 19 January 2009 13:30:27 Gonzalo Martinez - Sanjuan Sanchez wrote:
>> El 19/01/2009, a las 11:54, Silver Salonen escribió:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I had Firefox3.0.5 on my machine and it wouldn't start, getting the
>>> error
>>> below. I then downloaded Firefox3.0.5_1, but it didn't help.
>>>
>>> $ /usr/Programs/Firefox3.0.5_1/.sbin/firefox3
>>>
>>> (firefox-bin:10365): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C
>>> library.
>>>         Using the fallback 'C' locale.
>>> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libgnome-2.so.0: Undefined symbol
>>> "g_dgettext"
>>>
>>> I have libgnome-2.24.1 installed, but why doesn't Firefox include
>>> its own
>>> libgnome? :(
>>>
>>> --
>>> Silver
>>
>> hi there!!!
>> i didnt got that error and i tried it hard...
>> which version of pcbsd are u using?
>>
>> sorry for the inconvenience!
>
> I'm using PC-BSD 7.0.2, but I upgrade my FreeBSD ports often ;)
>
> --
> Silver

Good catch! I've taken a look here, and it appears that libgnome*
doesn't show up in a ldd of firefox-bin, so it wasn't getting added to
the library. It must be loading dynamically from elsewhere. I've fixed
it up in svn, and am rebuilding it now for 7.0.2, when its finished can
you re-test it and confirm it fixes this issue?

I'll do a bit of digging to see if I can figure out how we can detect
libraries which get loaded elsewhere in the runtime, so we can copy them
into the archive.

http://www.pcbsd.com