[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] OT: FreeBSD Ports depending on rblibtorrent

Adam Hopstetter ahopstetter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 17:38:55 PST 2009

Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 23:36:19 -0500
> Adam Hopstetter <ahopstetter at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:

>>> Please fill a PR with the update in question; if the maintainers
>>> don't respond in a timely manner it will be committed via
>>> maintainer timeout.
>>>
>>> Please drop linimon at freebsd.org an email describing your efforts to
>>> contact the maintainers, update the port, etc. He's the one from
>>> portmngr@ that handles this king of issues.
>>>
>>        Been doing research on this issue as it relates to the
>> qbittorrent and rblibtorrent ports and have encountered a few
>> potential hangups.
>>
>>        First of all, please forgive me for being a "newbie" at
>> interacting with the FreeBSD/PC-BSD dev groups (not a newbie at c/c++
>> ;)   )... I've simply never have participated till now.
>>

> Welcome aboard then! :-)
>
>  [ .. ]
>

>>        First to address Ion-Mihai ... I received your mail regarding
>> submiting an e-mail to linimon at freebsd.org. Appreciate it!
>>        However, sorry "newbie" here  ... PR = "Patch Request" ??? If
>>

> Problem Report.
>

>> So (or whatever you mean) ... is there some official document I can
>> obtain or format I'm to follow???
>>

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/problem-reports/article.html
>

>>        Further, apparently, my old e-mail provider was having issues
>> when I attempted to contact the port maintainers previously (found
>> this out by other known contacts not receiving my e-mails .... now
>> I'm solid on GMAIL ... that said ... I'm copying the port maintainers
>> on this e-mail ... and for their benefit  this e-mail regards
>> upgrading the net-p2p/qbittorrent port to the latest v1.3.1 release).
>>

> This might explain the unresponsiveness ...
>

>>        Now to the business of the ports themselves ... after
>> researching ... there appear to be 3 ports that rely on
>> net-p2p/rblibtorrent ... net-p2p/hrktorrent, net-p2p/sharktorrent and
>> net-p2p/qbittorrent. Apparrently if we upgrade rblibtorrent to
>> version 0.14.1 (required for the new qbittorrent 1.3.1) it will
>> definately break sharktorrent and possibly break hrktorrent (at least
>> in my testing).
>>

> OK, this may be a reason not to upgrade it.
>

>>        -- sharktorrent -- Definately breaks with
>> '/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: sharktorrent: Undefined symbol
>> "_ZN10libtorrent7sessionC1ERKNS_11fingerprintE"'
>>

> Strange.
>

>>        -- hrktorrent - Appears to function properly (but appearances
>> are deceiving) ... but during the make process for core.cpp ... it
>> complains with the following messages ...
>>              core.cpp: In member function 'int CCore::Run()':
>>             core.cpp:246: warning: '__comp_ctor ' is deprecated
>> (declared at /usr/local/include/libtorrent/torrent_info.hpp:132)
>>             core.cpp:253: warning: 'add_torrent' is deprecated
>> (declared at /usr/local/include/libtorrent/session.hpp:202)
>>

> Not a problem.
>

>>              But again, ... seems to function probably ... in my
> [...]

Ion-Mihia,

      Thanks for your guidance and assistance ... I will summit my PR
promptly!

       Regarding sharktorrent ... no it's version 0.1.1 in the most
current ports ... which is even older than the "current beta" I
mentioned (of July 2007). Point I'm making here is that sharktorrent
0.1.1 in ports ... is as at best a Dec. 2006 release (fairly old).
Anyhow ... seems to be another abandoned project on sourceforge
(http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=645877)

       In any case ... I will summit the report and see where it takes
us ... thanks again for your help!

Sincerely,

Adam Hopstetter