[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] OT: FreeBSD Ports depending on rblibtorrent (was: Re: qBittorrent v1.3.1 PBI Posting)

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 4 12:30:37 PST 2009

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 23:36:19 -0500
Adam Hopstetter <ahopstetter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> > On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 14:45:29 -0500
> > Adam Hopstetter <ahopstetter at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>        Now as far as the ports go .... I'm in full agreement!
> >> However, I have not been able to successfully get in touch with the
> >> port maintainers. There are two ports in question
> >> net-p2p/rblibtorrent/ and net-p2p/qbittorrent/. Unfortunately I'm
> >> starting to feel as if they really aren't being maintained ....
> >> it's been over 9 months since the last update for these 2 ports.
> >> (While the developers have  been updating the source constantly
> >> throughout 2008).
> >
> > Please fill a PR with the update in question; if the maintainers
> > don't respond in a timely manner it will be committed via
> > maintainer timeout.
> >
> > Please drop linimon at freebsd.org an email describing your efforts to
> > contact the maintainers, update the port, etc. He's the one from
> > portmngr@ that handles this king of issues.
>
>        Been doing research on this issue as it relates to the
> qbittorrent and rblibtorrent ports and have encountered a few
> potential hangups.
>
>        First of all, please forgive me for being a "newbie" at
> interacting with the FreeBSD/PC-BSD dev groups (not a newbie at c/c++
> ;)   )... I've simply never have participated till now.

Welcome aboard then! :-)

 [ .. ]

>        First to address Ion-Mihai ... I received your mail regarding
> submiting an e-mail to linimon at freebsd.org. Appreciate it!
>        However, sorry "newbie" here  ... PR = "Patch Request" ??? If

Problem Report.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/problem-reports/article.html

>        Further, apparently, my old e-mail provider was having issues
> when I attempted to contact the port maintainers previously (found
> this out by other known contacts not receiving my e-mails .... now
> I'm solid on GMAIL ... that said ... I'm copying the port maintainers
> on this e-mail ... and for their benefit  this e-mail regards
> upgrading the net-p2p/qbittorrent port to the latest v1.3.1 release).

This might explain the unresponsiveness ...

>        Now to the business of the ports themselves ... after
> researching ... there appear to be 3 ports that rely on
> net-p2p/rblibtorrent ... net-p2p/hrktorrent, net-p2p/sharktorrent and
> net-p2p/qbittorrent. Apparrently if we upgrade rblibtorrent to
> version 0.14.1 (required for the new qbittorrent 1.3.1) it will
> definately break sharktorrent and possibly break hrktorrent (at least
> in my testing).

OK, this may be a reason not to upgrade it.

>        -- sharktorrent -- Definately breaks with
> '/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: sharktorrent: Undefined symbol
> "_ZN10libtorrent7sessionC1ERKNS_11fingerprintE"'

Strange.

>        -- hrktorrent - Appears to function properly (but appearances
> are deceiving) ... but during the make process for core.cpp ... it
> complains with the following messages ...
>              core.cpp: In member function 'int CCore::Run()':
>             core.cpp:246: warning: '__comp_ctor ' is deprecated
> (declared at /usr/local/include/libtorrent/torrent_info.hpp:132)
>             core.cpp:253: warning: 'add_torrent' is deprecated
> (declared at /usr/local/include/libtorrent/session.hpp:202)

Not a problem.

>              But again, ... seems to function probably ... in my
> testing of it's "finite features".
>
>          -- qbittorrent (of course works flawlessly) :)
>
>          Now, worthy of noting .... sharktorrent has extremely
> outdated source ... still at  0.1.8.2-BETA ... and hasn't been worked
> on since July 2007. Even worse the interface it provides is WEAK (in
> my humble opinion). Is such old beta??? source code worth
> maintaining ???

This is the version in ports? Is there a newer version?

>           hrktorrent (a console based torrent client) is being
> actively updated however and deserves attention as many MAY seek to
> wrap web-based (or other) interfaces around it for any number of
> centralized torrent server apps. Which (of course) qbittorrent
> already has a nice web-based centralized torrent server built-in. But
> is Nice thought anyway!
>
>           Finally, I've noticed ... that there is a
> net-p2p/rblibtorrent-devel/ port, which is a slightly higher version
> than rblibtorrent-0.13 currently in the ports.
>
>           Now to my question ... Would it be possible to upgrade
> rblibtorrent-devel to version 0.14.1 and making qbittorrent rely
> depend on this ??? (thus not breaking hrktorrent or sharktorrent!!!).

Yes.

> Problems I can foresee there (of course) is that if one were to
> attempt to install hrktorrent/sharktorrent and qbittorrent ... they
> would most certainly experience library/linking issues! (or port
> build issues). But this would make the qbittorrent port upgradable.

Depending on how the dependency line in each port is written, once one
is installed it would be possible for the port to fail to build
gracefully. No real problem here.

>           So I'm almost certain these are the reasons the ports have
> not been updated as of yet ... even though I've yet to speak with the
> maintainers.

Probably.

> Unfortunately though ... it seems that qbittorrent is
> the only active open-sourced project fully leveraging the updates to
> rblibtorrent (and in FreeBSD is suffering at the expense of
> shark/hrk).

 [ .. ]

I'm happily using net-p2p/libtorrent and net-p2p/rtorrent

FreeBSD committer -> itetcu at FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B