[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] qBittorrent v1.3.1 PBI Posting

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Feb 3 09:35:45 PST 2009

Adam Hopstetter wrote:
> Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 14:45:29 -0500
>> Adam Hopstetter <ahopstetter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>        Now as far as the ports go .... I'm in full agreement!
>>> However, I have not been able to successfully get in touch with the
>>> port maintainers. There are two ports in question
>>> net-p2p/rblibtorrent/ and net-p2p/qbittorrent/. Unfortunately I'm
>>> starting to feel as if they really aren't being maintained .... it's
>>> been over 9 months since the last update for these 2 ports. (While
>>> the developers have  been updating the source constantly throughout
>>> 2008).
>>>

>> Please fill a PR with the update in question; if the maintainers don't
>> respond in a timely manner it will be committed via maintainer timeout.
>>
>> Please drop linimon at freebsd.org an email describing your efforts to
>> contact the maintainers, update the port, etc. He's the one from
>> portmngr@ that handles this king of issues.
>>

>> Thank you,
>>

> All,
>
>        Been doing research on this issue as it relates to the
> qbittorrent and rblibtorrent ports and have encountered a few potential
> hangups.
>
>        First of all, please forgive me for being a "newbie" at
> interacting with the FreeBSD/PC-BSD dev groups (not a newbie at c/c++
> ;)   )... I've simply never have participated till now. That said, I've
> taken much from our beloved FreeBSD open-OS and now want to give back
> and absolutely love what PC-BSD is aimed at accomplishing.
>
>        Now ... all that said ... the last thing I want to do is waste
> anyones time (especially yours) ... so please, would everyone bear with
> a probably too-long message here and give me insight as to how I should
> proceed!
>
>        First to address Ion-Mihai ... I received your mail regarding
> submiting an e-mail to linimon at freebsd.org. Appreciate it!
>        However, sorry "newbie" here  ... PR = "Patch Request" ??? If So
> (or whatever you mean) ... is there some official document I can obtain
> or format I'm to follow???
>        Further, apparently, my old e-mail provider was having issues
> when I attempted to contact the port maintainers previously (found this
> out by other known contacts not receiving my e-mails .... now I'm solid
> on GMAIL ... that said ... I'm copying the port maintainers on this
> e-mail ... and for their benefit  this e-mail regards upgrading the
> net-p2p/qbittorrent port to the latest v1.3.1 release).
>

>        Now to the business of the ports themselves ... after researching
> ... there appear to be 3 ports that rely on net-p2p/rblibtorrent ...
> net-p2p/hrktorrent, net-p2p/sharktorrent and net-p2p/qbittorrent.
> Apparrently if we upgrade rblibtorrent to version 0.14.1 (required for
> the new qbittorrent 1.3.1) it will definately break sharktorrent and
> possibly break hrktorrent (at least in my testing).
>
>        -- sharktorrent -- Definately breaks with '/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
> sharktorrent: Undefined symbol
> [...]

Adam,

Our prefered method of PBI building is to "piggyback" off the ports
tree, so that when the associated port gets updated, the PBI will be
rebuilt automatically as well for both 32bit / 64bit.

That being said, if there is some reason that wont work, like a PBI for
a program not in ports, or the port isn't being maintained, we can make
an exception and approve the 3rd party PBI manually. Its just more a
pain for you in the long run, since you'll need to update the PBI
manually, as opposed to our server doing all the grunt-work from the
port for you.

http://www.pcbsd.com