[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] ThinClientServer pbi

Vagrant Cascadian vagrant+pcbsd at freegeek.org
Mon Apr 20 13:15:14 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 09:16:55AM -0400, Kris Moore wrote:
> Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
>> i tried this out (ThinClientServer 0.9-PV0), but didn't have very good luck
>> with it. first with a PC-BSD 7.1-beta, and then with 7.1.
>>
>> on a dell latitude laptop (866MHz), X simply failed to configure- it would
>> start up, i'd see the grey thatched X background, but no X cursor, and a black
>> line at the top of the screen. i think it has an intel i810 video chipset.
>>
>> on a thin client (model linked below), X failed to recognize the USB keyboard
>> and USB mouse, although the graphics came up fine.
>> http://www.disklessworkstations.com/cgi-bin/web/200104.html?id=hqRToh7q
>>
>> both the laptop and thin client worked fine without any configuration with
>> ThinClientServer 0.8-PV0.
...snip...
> The version of Xorg on 0.9 is Xorg 7.4, which does have some issues with
> keyboard / mouse detection. However you should be able to fix it by
> messing with / adding these options via the manual xorg setup.
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
>         Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
>         Option "AllowEmptyInput" "Off"
> EndSection
>
> We've had to add those flags to our default X config for PC-BSD 7.1, and
> I may need to add them to the default PXE client as well.
>
> On your intel video card, does switching between intel / vesa drivers
> make a difference?
>
> Also, I'm going to add these flags to ThinClientServer xorg here, and
> rebuild it as 0.9.1, and we'll see if that helps fix these issues.

with ThinClientServer 0.9.1 the laptop with the intel video (i810) gets a
graphical display, though built-in keyboard and mouse fail to work. before X
comes up, i actually see the console mouse cursor, so it's recognized at some
level. just not once X starts.

using the X configuration options, with "Use failsafe VESA mode" it gets a
black screen, and eventually fails to start. with "Run X auto-detection" it
just sits at the console indefinitely.  if i select "Run X auto-detection" and
then edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to include the ServerFlags options mentioned above
and remove all references to Screen1, everything works (graphics, mouse and
keyboard).

with "Run xorgconfig for manual setup" it gives an error:

  xorgconfig: not found
  Copied Xorg config.
  [Press Enter to Continue]

the thin client from disklessworkstations works with "Use failsafe VESA mode",
fails with "Run X auto-detection", but works when adding in the ServerFlags
settings.

and on a related note, saving X configuration files doesn't actually work, as
/mnt/xorg-config is a dead symlink to /usr/local/etc/pxeboot/xorg-config on the
thin client.  i'm guessing keeping them outside of /home/pxeboot was intended
to prevent configurations from getting removed upon upgrading ThinClientServer?

live well,
  vagrant