[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] ThinClientServer pbi

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Thu Apr 16 06:16:55 PDT 2009

Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 07:20:20PM -0500, Kris Moore wrote:
>> I'm actually just triggered a rebuild of TCS, which adds support for
>> creating, testing, and saving xorg configurations for the various
>> thin-clients on the server via sftp. It should build sometime this
>> weekend, and be available on our pbi upload page for testing:
>>
>> http://pbibuild.pcbsd.org/index.php?sort=date&ver=7
>>
>> If you would like to take a look at it, and suggest or submit any
>> changes, I'll be more than happy to work with you to improve it.
>
> i tried this out (ThinClientServer 0.9-PV0), but didn't have very good luck
> with it. first with a PC-BSD 7.1-beta, and then with 7.1.
>
> on a dell latitude laptop (866MHz), X simply failed to configure- it would
> start up, i'd see the grey thatched X background, but no X cursor, and a black
> line at the top of the screen. i think it has an intel i810 video chipset.
>
> on a thin client (model linked below), X failed to recognize the USB keyboard
> and USB mouse, although the graphics came up fine.
> http://www.disklessworkstations.com/cgi-bin/web/200104.html?id=hqRToh7q
>
> both the laptop and thin client worked fine without any configuration with
> ThinClientServer 0.8-PV0.
>
> i tried selecting some of the new X configuration options introduced in 0.9,
> but failed to produce a workable configuration for either.
>
> does 0.9 have a newer X.org version than 0.8? is there a significant difference
> between how 0.9 and 0.8 should behave when no X configuration options are
> selected (i.e. not answering the prompt to configure X)?
>
> live well,
>   vagrant

Vagrant,

The version of Xorg on 0.9 is Xorg 7.4, which does have some issues with
keyboard / mouse detection. However you should be able to fix it by
messing with / adding these options via the manual xorg setup.

Section "ServerFlags"
         Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
         Option "AllowEmptyInput" "Off"
EndSection

We've had to add those flags to our default X config for PC-BSD 7.1, and
I may need to add them to the default PXE client as well.

On your intel video card, does switching between intel / vesa drivers
make a difference?

Also, I'm going to add these flags to ThinClientServer xorg here, and
rebuild it as 0.9.1, and we'll see if that helps fix these issues.

http://www.pcbsd.com