[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] ThinClientServer pbi

Vagrant Cascadian vagrant+pcbsd at freegeek.org
Wed Apr 15 14:29:04 PDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 07:20:20PM -0500, Kris Moore wrote:
> I'm actually just triggered a rebuild of TCS, which adds support for
> creating, testing, and saving xorg configurations for the various
> thin-clients on the server via sftp. It should build sometime this
> weekend, and be available on our pbi upload page for testing:
>
> http://pbibuild.pcbsd.org/index.php?sort=date&ver=7
>
> If you would like to take a look at it, and suggest or submit any
> changes, I'll be more than happy to work with you to improve it.

i tried this out (ThinClientServer 0.9-PV0), but didn't have very good luck
with it. first with a PC-BSD 7.1-beta, and then with 7.1.

on a dell latitude laptop (866MHz), X simply failed to configure- it would
start up, i'd see the grey thatched X background, but no X cursor, and a black
line at the top of the screen. i think it has an intel i810 video chipset.

on a thin client (model linked below), X failed to recognize the USB keyboard
and USB mouse, although the graphics came up fine.
http://www.disklessworkstations.com/cgi-bin/web/200104.html?id=hqRToh7q

both the laptop and thin client worked fine without any configuration with
ThinClientServer 0.8-PV0.

i tried selecting some of the new X configuration options introduced in 0.9,
but failed to produce a workable configuration for either.

does 0.9 have a newer X.org version than 0.8? is there a significant difference
between how 0.9 and 0.8 should behave when no X configuration options are
selected (i.e. not answering the prompt to configure X)?

live well,
  vagrant