[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] [Pbibuild] PBI Autobuild: kb

Diane Bruce db at db.net
Thu May 29 07:19:46 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 09:56:55AM -0400, Kris Moore wrote:
> Marcel Klinz [PC-BSD.de] wrote:
> >Output logged from stdout
> >=========================
>
> I went ahead and changed the program to use a regular .png icon instead
> of the .xpm. That should fix the icon to show up properly on the

Bizarre, it displays on the desktop fine. I generated the .png myself
btw, I'm no graphics artist. ;-)

> desktop. As for running the program, it seems to work here just fine.
> I'm on 1.5.1 here, what version did you test it on Marcel?

That error message is from kb itself, it does a loop looking for
a monospace font that fills the width of the screen properly.
in init.c

    pango_font_metrics_unref (pfm);
    pango_font_description_free (pfd);
    if(nfound)
     printf("Found a good font [%s]\n", font_desc);
    else
     {
      printf("Cannot find a suitable font for your system!\n");
      printf("Try a different screen resolution.\n");
      gtk_widget_destroy (main_window);
      exit(1);
     }
   }

The code loops through font size 10 to 24
About line 539 of init.c

    for(nff=0; nff<2; nff++)
     {
      for(font_size=10; font_size<=24; font_size++)
       {
        pango_font_metrics_unref (pfm);
        pango_font_description_free (pfd);
        snprintf(font_desc, sizeof(font_desc), "%s %d",
                 font_fam[nff], font_size);
        pfd = pango_font_description_from_string (font_desc);
        pfm = pango_context_get_metrics (pc, pfd, pl);
        ipfmgadw = pango_font_metrics_get_approximate_digit_width (pfm);
        if(ipfmgadw/PANGO_SCALE==wcol)
         {
          nfound = TRUE;

quite a kludge...

I'd change that if(ipfmgadw/PANGO_SCALE==wcol) to
if(ipfmgadw/PANGO_SCALE>=wcol)

I meant to patch that in the port. Not sure if you can try that easily.
What resolution is your screen?

- Diane
--
- db at FreeBSD.org db at db.net http://www.db.net/~db