[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Bacula Bat PBI

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Jun 17 11:02:34 PDT 2008

Silver Salonen wrote:
> On Monday 16 June 2008 16:26, Kris Moore wrote:
>> Silver Salonen wrote:
>>> So could anyone take a look at this and give me some feedback about what
> the
>>> PBI lacks etc?
>> The only thing I saw was the problem with kmd-executor not being
>> present. But maybe we can fix that?
>
> That would be very cool. But what if the kmdr-executor with all the libraries
> would be bigger than Bat itself? Should it be provided as a separate package
> then?
>
>>> About Kris' question about integration of kmdr-executor into the PBI -
> when I
>>> created the Kommander script, I did try first including kmdr-executor and
>>> then creating Kommander PBI too, but it was quite a tough task as
>>> kmdr-executor is dependent on different KDE libraries and environment
>>> variables etc. Or maybe I was just too incompetent. More about the issue
>>> here: http://mail.kdewebdev.org/pipermail/kommander/2008-March/001678.html
>> How did you build this PBI, did you use the GUI creator, or the PBI
>> Builder software?
>
> I used PBI Creator for that. Would PBI Builder be more suitable for that?

The advantage of using the PBI builder, is that once you get "module"
created, we can upload it to our build server, so it'll get re-built
every time the bacula port gets updated, saving you a lot of time doing
it manually.

You can download the PBI Builder software here:

http://www.pcbsd.org/content/view/45/30/

>> I could probably help take a look at this one, and help you figure out
>> why kmdr-executor isn't working. Its probably going to be some library
>> trickery like you said :)
>
> Did you read more messages of the Kommander mailing-list thread I sent? If I
> remember correctly, the problem was that the libraries included in PBI may
> not be compatible with the rest of the KDE and including all the possibly
> incompatible libraries would make the package enormous. But what I did was
> just to create PBI based on kmdr-executor binary only. Then, when trying to
> use it on an older KDE, it just didn't work: "can't load kommander plugin
> library libkommanderwidgets" - the library was dynamically added into the PBI
> though. I tried messing with KDE paths a bit, but well..
>
> --
> Silver

After looking into it, I think you are right, kmdr-executor is really
supposed to be apart of the base system, since its so "kde" integrated.
I think the way you have your PBI right now is fine then, you can just
let the user know that they need kmdr-executor for the GUI. (BTW, you
may want to mention in that dialog that kmdr-executor is available via
the Add / Remove Programs tool, under "components", its just an optional
feature of PC-BSD)

FYI, Gonzalo has made some nice images for your PBI:

http://www.pcbsd.org/~gonzalo/PBIs/images/bacula/header.png
http://www.pcbsd.org/~gonzalo/PBIs/images/bacula/leftside.png

Just throw those into the directory, and rebuild and it'll look great!

Also, about the PBI Builder, if you want, I'll be happy to help you
convert what you have into a module for building. It's really not that
difficult, you may want to look at it yourself though, since its pretty
easy to make new PBIs that way :)

http://www.pcbsd.com