[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] server programs

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Jun 16 06:24:05 PDT 2008

Robert Swain wrote:
> I am new to PC-BSD, formerly using FreeBSD 7. I switched for the ease of
> use of the system. I was fine without the PBIs and other helpful
> features, but I will be using this system for some clients and wanted to
> become familiar with it so I can answer their questions. I use this
> machine as a server and will be going about the process of reinstalling
> the latest versions of Apache, PHP, MySQL, Tcl, and other server
> programs. While I'm putting them on I figured I'd utilize the PBI system
> instead of just using the ports tree directly, and that if I'm going
> through the trouble of making them, why not share them with the community?
> Please let me know if I can help make PBIs for distribution on pbidir or
> be part of the PBI-Dev team.
> Thanks,
> Robert Swain
> Biff the Monkey Productions, LLC

Robert,

We would love to have your help on the PBI Dev team on some Server
PBI's. What would be nice about having those available, is that your
customers could use the "update" service also, to get new versions of
the PBI applications without any difficulty. Gonzalo and I will be more
than happy to help answer any questions you may have about the PBI
creation process. The first place you'll want to look though is here:

http://www.pcbsd.org/content/view/45/30/

If you are on PC-BSD 1.5.x, go ahead and download the PBI Builder
software and install it via the commands listed on the page. There is
also a docs/ folder with this application, which describes how the build
takes place. Essentially, it builds the target ports in a "chroot"
environment, then uses your specified configuration scripts to convert
those installed ports into a self-installing PBI file.

http://www.pcbsd.com