[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] New PBI to test

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Wed Aug 6 06:20:28 PDT 2008

Simone Cuttlefish wrote:
> Hi Kris - nice to hear from you again :)
>
> At the moment this is a very "manual" build - I would truly LOVE to get it
> to build from ports, but as there were a bunch of customised
> ./configure --with_BLAH options, and so many standard port options to
> override (on two ports), I just went CVS and manual build on this one.
>
> This is not the end of this PBI though. Timidity has a truckloads of very
> cool features, like midi to wav, flac etc output, aRts output, sequencer in,
> network midi server etc. And of COURSE the spectacular and beautiful Xaw3d
> interface is currently broken in ports... sigh ...., so I want to keep
> updating this over time as time permits. This will also mean a bunch of
> custom scripts to make the most common and really useful features available
> from GUI utils (kdialog), alternative sound samples, tons of stuff ... in
> the fullness of time ......  :) Seeing it properly integrated into KDE would
> be a major win  as well.
>
> This is all in the future (PC-BSD 7?).
>
> I'm already looking into the build server option (after your pointer), and I
> believe in time, I will be able to get this to build "just right" from the
> ports tree. But for now - it's a manual jobbie - not a burning hastle, as
> timidity development really has slowed.
>
> Who knows - I may even tell people it has .kar Karaoke support one day

Great! Feel free to start playing with the PBI builder software. It
should be able to do just about everything you want. You can setup
custom build options, or even run the make or ./configure manually in
one of the scripts. And of course, it allows you to add any custom
scripts / features that you want. Also, since its all built in a chroot
environment, it makes no mess on your system, which is very helpful as
well :)

If you run into any problems or have any questions about using the new
builder, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll help out in any way I can.
Also, if you can provide us with a module for SVN, it'll get
automatically built on PC-BSD 1.x and PC-BSD 7.x simultaneously, which
may be helpful to you, not having to maintain two versions of it.

http://www.pcbsd.com