[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] PC-BSD promo

Andrei Kolu antik at raidon.eu
Sun Mar 11 09:33:44 PST 2007

http://forums.pcbsd.org/viewtopic.php?p=51173#51173

DarkStarAeon
Member
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Location: Bellingham, WA

New postPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does Distrowatch do their rankings? I've always wondered that.
 I found PC-BSD through them.

 About Ubuntu, I've seen them in Popular Mechanics very recently, so I'm sure
that helped them gain users in droves. Also, they were mentioned on tv shows
twice in just the past two months. (Once on CTV once on CNN). I will say
though, the "community" on the Ubuntu forums are usually slow to respond and
often not friendly.
 Judging people who use Ubuntu as a whole though is messed up. Popular isn't
always bad, and fact is that Ubuntu is pretty easy to use compard to other
Linux distros. Generalizing what it would be like if a bunch of "Ubuntus"
came here isn't cool. No one should discriminate against who uses a product,
those people, or type of people as you are suggesting, might gain knowledge
and become wiser users if they used PC-BSD.
 If PC-BSD is the superior OS, then it's going to get popular.

 Back to PC-BSD popularity and promotion.....

 PR/Promotions are very important to the survival of any product, free or not.

 I'd suggest assembling a press pack (with PC-BSD on a pretty looking disc
Wink ) and a PC-BSD T-shirt, detailed press release and any other goodies you
can find and sending those press packs out to every major and medium sized
tech/computer magazine, webzine, and tech tv show you can find.

 Also, if you can get any businesses, schools, or govt. institutions to start
using PC-BSD exclusively then you've got media paydirt and it should be easy
to get a write up in a newspaper.

 I'd also contact major news outlets that have a tech segment, send them the
press pack mentioned earlier, and sell them on the fact that security wise
PC-BSD can't be beat, it has an easy installer for programs, and that it's
interface is user friendly. Make a strong point that PC-BSD is easier to get
running than just about any Linux distro. (Which I believe is true).

 Also, to any tech media outlet you contact to let them know that BSD and
specifically PC-BSD will install over the stupid pre-loaded OS's that come
with most computers when other OS's won't. Basically making it a computer
saver.

 I would send a press pack tailored to any legit non-profit organization you
can find, if you can get them using it then you can also get more press.
Plus, people who work with PC-BSD might be likely to adopt PC-BSD at home if
they find they like it.

 It may cost a little to make up professional looking press packs (appearance
and content both matter, keep in mind though, if it doesn't look like wow
factor 10 then people aren't likely to read about it or try it, you have to
lure people, and our eyes are easily tempted by pretty packaging) but it will
be worth it if you can get people on board.

 College campuses are also great places to find people fed up with Windows,
Linux and Macs. Western Washington University's tech dept./computer lab staff
are huge fans of BSD I just found out from my wife, but they don't even know
about PC-BSD. (I will try to remedy that).

 Another thing I would suggest is finding computer refurbishing sites online
that sell used laptops and desktops and see if you can get them to offer
PC-BSD pre-loaded on those machines as cheaper alternatives.

 If there are local privately owned computer stores near you, try to get them
to do the same thing. The owners might like to advertise that they have low
cost alternatives for people with less money. Many people don't buy computers
because they of the price, but they don't realize that pre-loaded Windows OS
is a huge part of the cost.

 Start a myspace site, I know, it sounds lame, but that's how you'll reach the
youth market. Unfortunately, much of MySpace uses Flash 9, so you may have to
wait on that because those users will need it.

 Get other sites to link to PC-BSD, the more ways to this site the better.

 If any of you have a blog that gets indexed by search engines regularly,
write about PC-BSD on your site. Spread the word.

 Post on message boards and leave links to PC-BSD and tell people about it.

 Use a poster service like http://www.postergiant.net they will make sure
posters for PC-BSD are literally everywhere. You can have them do campaigns
where they put the posters all over the place in multiple cities, or, you can
have them put posters around specific events, like CES in Vegas.

 Go to tech conventions and pass out discs and promo materials.

 Buy a PC-BSD t-shirt and wear it, a lot. Wink People ask me about mine all
the time.

 Go to retirement homes, many of which have computer rooms for the residents,
and many of which are still running Windows 2000. Convince them to install
PC-BSD on their machines (make sure hardware is compatible though) and
convince them that the residents don't want to be worrying about security,
they just want to surf and check email etc.
 You may have to take some personal time to set everything up for them of
course, but many of them will pay for such services.

 Make fliers, nice ones, like dual sided color vinyl fliers that will catch
peoples attention, and leave them in coffee shops, waiting rooms, libraries,
etc. or even go door to door and hand them to people, or make fliers that
hang on doors and leave them on peoples doors in your neighborhood.

 Make PC-BSD business cards, you can get free ones from VistaPrint that only
cost the price of shipping. Make sure they have the PC-BSD logo and website
address. Hand them out, leave them places, be creative.
 I once put a promotional business card in every computer related book in a
book store. I got permission from the owner of course, I just traded him for
something. (pizza, he was hungry).

 If their is a county fair, sports arena, or some other large venue near you
then pass out fliers to the people coming and going, or, place the fliers on
their cars.

 Ask small business owners if they would be willing to let you leave promo
materials on their counters by the cash registers. If they express interest
then try to get them to try PC-BSD. If they like it, then they will probably
tell their customers, friends, and family about it too.

 Find websites or blogs where people are ranting about hating Windows, then
either leave replies and tell them about PC-BSD or contact the site owner
directly and tell them.

 You'd be surprised what people will let you do if you aren't afraid to ask. I
got extremely far in many projects just because I was willing to ask people
for something. If they say no don't act upset or weird, just say thanks but
give them a look like they don't know what they are missing, often they'll
hesitate a second then change their minds.

 When it comes to promo, you have to use Guerrilla Marketing to get noticed.
This combination of free, grassroots, and $ versions of marketing are very
effective in combination.

 Basically, it takes effort, time and sometimes moola to get noticed.