[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] News on the PBI development front!

Andrei Kolu antik at raidon.eu
Sat Aug 18 02:32:47 PDT 2007

Saturday 18 August 2007 05:35:03 kirjutas Charles A. Landemaine:
> I had an interesting chat today with Alex (mal.exe) about PBIs, and in our
> continuous quest for better quality, I developed a simple tool that makes
> life easier for PBI testers to report their test of PBIs. PBI testers only
> have to fill out a simple form, generate the report and paste it into the
> forum thread :)
>
> Give it a whirl: http://test.pbidir.com
>
> Also, Gon, Terry and Alex among others, will be pleased to know that it is
> now *OFFICIAL*, PBIs that use pkg_add don't follow the quality guidelines
> anymore: http://faqs.pcbsd.org/18_296_en.html
>
> The points discussed by Terry, Renato and Alex on the forum are
> insightful, and we have tried to make PBIs more stable with several
> measures. The PBI Updater now works with an increasing number of
> applications also.
>
> Here are some suggestions to increase quality of PBIs:
>   - Each PBI should be tested and approved by 3 different people
>   - Tests should be done on fresh PC-BSD installations
*AND* on custom ports tree- applications installed from ports. The problem is
that pkg_added or who knows what script does not check base system if some
port is already installed (maybe newer one) and then PBI breaks all coherency
by installing older ports/packages and destroys dependencies after
deinstallation.

PBIs should be all self-contained IMHO. Everything else should be
triplechecked and more sophisticated on checking base system installation. I
personally can't stand "pkg_add" at all.