[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] News on the PBI development front!

Charles A. Landemaine charles at pcbsd.org
Fri Aug 17 19:35:03 PDT 2007

I had an interesting chat today with Alex (mal.exe) about PBIs, and in our
continuous quest for better quality, I developed a simple tool that makes
life easier for PBI testers to report their test of PBIs. PBI testers only
have to fill out a simple form, generate the report and paste it into the
forum thread :)

Give it a whirl: http://test.pbidir.com

Also, Gon, Terry and Alex among others, will be pleased to know that it is
now *OFFICIAL*, PBIs that use pkg_add don't follow the quality guidelines
anymore: http://faqs.pcbsd.org/18_296_en.html

The points discussed by Terry, Renato and Alex on the forum are
insightful, and we have tried to make PBIs more stable with several
measures. The PBI Updater now works with an increasing number of
applications also.

Here are some suggestions to increase quality of PBIs:
  - Each PBI should be tested and approved by 3 different people
  - Tests should be done on fresh PC-BSD installations
  - Each tester should check all points of the requirements (ideally with
the report generator!)

Could we work this way, guys? Any other idea?

--
Charles A. Landemaine.
http://www.pcbsd.org