[Installer] Questions about auto-installs

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Thu Dec 20 03:43:20 PST 2012

Hi,

prompted by a recent article, in BSD-MAG, I tried to do my own
unattended auto-install.

It worked, but what I don't understand is how to move the
device-specific configuration in a file with the MAC-address.

The documentation says:
- place a file called /boot/pc-autoinstall.conf on your PC-BSD
 installation medium

I have this here:

[root at pcbsd-8303] /usr/home/thinclient/installscripts#
cat /usr/home/thinclient/boot/pc-autoinstall.conf # Sample
configuration file for an installation using pc-sysinstall

installMode=fresh
installInteractive=no
# Set if we are installing via optical, USB, or FTP
installType=FreeBSD
installMedium=local
localPath=/installarchive
packageType=tar
installFile=fbsd-release.txz

pc_config: http://192.168.63.135/%%NIC_MAC%%.cfg

confirm_install: no

nic_config: dhcp-all

Yet, it tries to load the "unattended.cfg" from the
installscripts-directory.
Or better, it displays the "install / shell / close" menu.

How is this supposed to work?
It'd really like to have the MAC-based setup....

Best Regards,
Rainer