[Installer] pc-sysinstall vs. sysinstall

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Oct 11 08:32:25 PDT 2011

On 10/11/11 01:15, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I haven't been following the install work you guys have been doing in
> the past year,
> but I see that you have managed to commit pc-sysinstall to FreeBSD,
> and Nathan Whitehorn is really doing very good work getting bsdinstall
> working in FreeBSD.
>
> Recently, Nathan removed the old sysinstall from trunk in FreeBSD, but
> not in the stable/9 branch.
> This is a very brave move, but it had to happen some time. :)
>
> In this e-mail thread:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-head/2011-October/030137.html
>
> I asked some questions about whether pc-sysinstall can be used as a
> drop in replacement
> for sysinstall in "SCRIPT SYNTAX" mode.  I looked at the pc-sysinstall code,
> and it looks like many of the "SCRIPT SYNTAX" functions from
> sysinstall are supported in
> pc-sysinstall.  Can pc-sysinstall for example take this file:
>
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/9/usr.sbin/sysinstall/install.cfg?revision=225736&view=markup
>
> and work?
>
> For the list of functions documented in SCRIPT SYNTAX:
>
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/9/usr.sbin/sysinstall/sysinstall.8?revision=225736&view=markup
>
> how hard would it be to get pc-sysinstall to support all those?
> If it is not possible or desirable to do so, is there a sysinstall to
> pc-sysinstall migration doc somewhere?
>
> The reason I am asking these questions is because I have seen at least
> two companies
> which have kickstart-style installation systems based on FreeBSD
> sysinstall.........not because
> sysinstall is good, but because it was available and documented at the
> time, and mostly seems to work.....
>
> It would be nice to have these systems still work with pc-sysinstall.
>
> Thanks.
All installations using pc-sysinstall are scripted installs and the
syntax is somewhat similar to traditional SysInstall. With it in 9.0 it
is possible to use it for installations without too much difficulty. You
will probably just have to modify your original install scripts to some
of the newer syntax, but the idea behind it is the same.