[Installer] pc-sysinstall vs. sysinstall

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Mon Oct 10 22:15:13 PDT 2011

Hi,

I haven't been following the install work you guys have been doing in
the past year,
but I see that you have managed to commit pc-sysinstall to FreeBSD,
and Nathan Whitehorn is really doing very good work getting bsdinstall
working in FreeBSD.

Recently, Nathan removed the old sysinstall from trunk in FreeBSD, but
not in the stable/9 branch.
This is a very brave move, but it had to happen some time. :)

In this e-mail thread:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-head/2011-October/030137.html

I asked some questions about whether pc-sysinstall can be used as a
drop in replacement
for sysinstall in "SCRIPT SYNTAX" mode.  I looked at the pc-sysinstall code,
and it looks like many of the "SCRIPT SYNTAX" functions from
sysinstall are supported in
pc-sysinstall.  Can pc-sysinstall for example take this file:

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/9/usr.sbin/sysinstall/install.cfg?revision=225736&view=markup

and work?

For the list of functions documented in SCRIPT SYNTAX:

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/9/usr.sbin/sysinstall/sysinstall.8?revision=225736&view=markup

how hard would it be to get pc-sysinstall to support all those?
If it is not possible or desirable to do so, is there a sysinstall to
pc-sysinstall migration doc somewhere?

The reason I am asking these questions is because I have seen at least
two companies
which have kickstart-style installation systems based on FreeBSD
sysinstall.........not because
sysinstall is good, but because it was available and documented at the
time, and mostly seems to work.....

It would be nice to have these systems still work with pc-sysinstall.

Thanks.
--
Craig Rodrigues
rodrigc at crodrigues.org