[Installer] Nice work!

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Thu May 13 11:05:45 PDT 2010

I talked with Kris at BSDCan and attended his pc-sysinstall
presentation.  During Kris's presentation, someone sitting behind me
said, "Does this guy know what a great benefit to humanity he
is doing with this work?" :)

A lot of stuff was mentioned at the BSD Devsummit about new features
going into FreeBSD 9......but I think that pc-sysinstall could
be one of the biggest advancements in the usability of FreeBSD.

>From my experience, the current FreeBSD sysinstall is a barrier of entry
 -> new people trying FreeBSD at home
 -> IT organizations who are not super-FreeBSD gurus from supporting FreeBSD

Of all the potentional new FreeBSD installers, I think
pc-sysinstall is finally a viable replacement for the base FreeBSD installer.

What do you think would be required to make this happen?
Some items I can think of would be:
  -> get pc-sysinstall into FreeBSD tree
  -> integrate with "make distribution"
  -> get buy-in of FreeBSD release engineering team
  -> change documents in FreeBSD Handbook
  -> have a way for sysinstall and pc-sysinstall to co-exist for 1 or 2
     releases of FreeBSD, so people can choose which installer they
     want to choose

Good luck, and keep up the good work.....a lot of people are cheering you on!

Craig Rodrigues
rodrigc at crodrigues.org