[Installer] Nice work!

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Thu May 13 11:05:45 PDT 2010

Hi,

I talked with Kris at BSDCan and attended his pc-sysinstall
presentation.  During Kris's presentation, someone sitting behind me
said, "Does this guy know what a great benefit to humanity he
is doing with this work?" :)

A lot of stuff was mentioned at the BSD Devsummit about new features
going into FreeBSD 9......but I think that pc-sysinstall could
be one of the biggest advancements in the usability of FreeBSD.

>From my experience, the current FreeBSD sysinstall is a barrier of entry
for:
 -> new people trying FreeBSD at home
 -> IT organizations who are not super-FreeBSD gurus from supporting FreeBSD

Of all the potentional new FreeBSD installers, I think
pc-sysinstall is finally a viable replacement for the base FreeBSD installer.

What do you think would be required to make this happen?
Some items I can think of would be:
  -> get pc-sysinstall into FreeBSD tree
  -> integrate with "make distribution"
  -> get buy-in of FreeBSD release engineering team
  -> change documents in FreeBSD Handbook
  -> have a way for sysinstall and pc-sysinstall to co-exist for 1 or 2
     releases of FreeBSD, so people can choose which installer they
     want to choose

Good luck, and keep up the good work.....a lot of people are cheering you on!

--
Craig Rodrigues
rodrigc at crodrigues.org