[Installer] Where can I install pre defined configs on the usb image?

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon May 10 18:09:19 PDT 2010

On 05/08/2010 17:29, krad wrote:

> hi,
>
> I've been playing around with the pc-sysinstall to install freebsd,
> and it works very well. One thing I have noticed though is that I
> can't find anywhere on the usb image to put pre generated configs and
> post install scripts. All areas seem to be either volatile or not
> mounted.  Putting them directly on the /dev/ufs/PCBSDUSBFULL  file
> system isn't ideal even though is persistent, as you have to mount it,
> then ummount it otherwise pc-sysinstall breaks. Am I missing something
> here?
>
> I could easily update the mfsroot, but would rather avoid that as I
> want to keep it clean as i can so when there are version bumps there
> is a minimal amount of work to do to update my usb stick. (dd the
> image, and copy the configs dir onto it)

There's several ways to do it, but really updating mfsroot may be what
you need to do. We don't have a hook in place on our stock install
ISO/USB to check for specified config X, and use it automatically if it
exists.   You may want to take a look at examples/pc-autoinstall.conf.
If you place that in /boot/ on your media, you can use it to specify the
location of you default config script. (As well as pull it from a remote
FTP/HTTP server)