[Installer] Where can I install pre defined configs on the usb image?

krad kraduk at googlemail.com
Tue May 11 04:29:36 PDT 2010

On 11 May 2010 02:09, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:

> On 05/08/2010 17:29, krad wrote:
>

>> hi,
>>
>> I've been playing around with the pc-sysinstall to install freebsd, and it
>> works very well. One thing I have noticed though is that I can't find
>> anywhere on the usb image to put pre generated configs and post install
>> scripts. All areas seem to be either volatile or not mounted.  Putting them
>> directly on the /dev/ufs/PCBSDUSBFULL  file system isn't ideal even though
>> is persistent, as you have to mount it, then ummount it otherwise
>> pc-sysinstall breaks. Am I missing something here?
>>
>> I could easily update the mfsroot, but would rather avoid that as I want
>> to keep it clean as i can so when there are version bumps there is a minimal
>> amount of work to do to update my usb stick. (dd the image, and copy the
>> configs dir onto it)
>>

> There's several ways to do it, but really updating mfsroot may be what you
> need to do. We don't have a hook in place on our stock install ISO/USB to
> check for specified config X, and use it automatically if it exists.   You
> may want to take a look at examples/pc-autoinstall.conf. If you place that
> in /boot/ on your media, you can use it to specify the location of you
> default config script. (As well as pull it from a remote FTP/HTTP server)
>
> --
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> iXsystems

ok thanks. It would be nice to have a small persistent mount somewhere for
this purpose. At present its all workable, but I'm not a fan of deviating
from the standard and like to keep it as clean as possible, as it makes it
more easily maintainable.

Good work on all this btw I can see a lot of the freebsd folk wanting this
install integrated into the standard bsd release.