[Installer] PC-BSD 8.0 ZFS raidz support

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Fri Mar 5 00:19:24 PST 2010

On 03/05/2010 10:39, aeternala at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have browsed the forum, the lists were down and google didn't return any
> relevant results, so I thought about posting a message.
> First of all, is there no more special ZFS installer in the PC-BSD version
> 8.0 like there was in the 7.x branch?
>
> The main question however is whether I can set up an use multiple hard
> drives using the ZFS filesystem and raidz support directly from the
> installer?
> If this is not (yet?) possible, then could you direct me to some
> documentation on how to manually install PC-BSD? Maybe by making world?
>
> Thanks,

The support for zfs raidz/mirror and zfs file-system creation was just
added to our installer this last week:

http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/PC-BSD_8.1_TODO

If you want to wait a few weeks we'll be rolling a PC-BSD 8-Stable ISO
with that support, and you can use to get it loaded up. Otherwise the
best workaround is to us PC-BSD 8.0, load your drive with a single "/"
partition as ZFS, and a smaller SWAP. Then post-install you can run the
"zpool" / "zfs" commands to add other disks into a raid configuration,
etc :)

http://www.pcbsd.com