[Installer] FreeBSD Snapshots / ISOs with PC-Sysinstall

John Hixson john at ixsystems.com
Mon Aug 23 14:57:55 PDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:27:47PM -0700, Matt Olander wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Brian A. Seklecki (CFI NOC)
> <seklecki at noc.cfi.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > On 8/17/2010 6:54 PM, Brian A. Seklecki (CFI NOC) wrote:
> >>
> >> All:
> >>
> >> Is anyone building FreeBSD snapshots with PC-Sysinstall?
> >>
> >> * Scott Ullrich's snapshots on pfsense.org do not seem to be building.
> >> * John Hixon (SP?) at BSDCan2010 mentioned a FreeNAS project to
> >> graft a curses based installer
> >

> > Also, I'm assuming someone is maintaining patches to
> > /usr/src/release/Makefile and /usr/src/release/*/boot_crunch.conf
> >
> > The crunchgen stuff looks easy;
> >
> > The only other thing to do is set $init_path in loader.conf to include
> > /stand/pc-sysinstall, which can be done in the Makefile.
> >
> > Defaults:
> >
> > #init_path="/sbin/init:/sbin/oinit:/sbin/init.bak:/rescue/init:/stand/sysinstall"
> >
> > Before I go butchering my source tree, does anyone care to share existing
> > patches?
>
> Hey Brian!
>
> I've cc'd John so he doesn't miss this mail. I know he had a bunch of
> patches for HEAD but I think Warner already committed them. John, any
> further patches? Have you shared your curses stuff yet? :P

I'll have another patch here within the next couple days. As for the
curses stuff, it's in pcbsd's source tree. It can be found at
svn://svn.pcbsd.org/pcbsd-projects/txt-sysinstall. It's still a work in
progress however =).

I have built some ISO's with pc-sysinstall for FreeBSD using a slightly
modified make release with a /usr uzip filesystem and a hacked pcbsd
mfsroot.

- John