[Installer] PC-BSD 8.x LiveUSB & Full Installer is needed...

Timothy Yanni t_yanni at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 25 19:17:15 PST 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com> wrote:

> This weekend I had a chance to sit down and try to think out how our new
> installer should work for PC-BSD 8.x. Below is kind what I've come up
> with, to meet our requirements, and those suggested by users. Feel free
> to read and send your comments of what you like / don't like, or think
> we should add.
>
> LiveDVD
> ------------------------
> I would like to setup 8.0 to be both a LiveDVD, and installer all rolled
> into one. The idea is that at the FreeBSD boot menu, we'll have various
> options, like "LiveDVD" or "InstallOnly". When running the LiveDVD, we
> can also provide a link on the desktop to the installer, which allows
> the user to install directly from it. Install Only will be much faster
> to boot, and do an install of course, and may work better on systems
> which aren't capable of running KDE4 direct from DVD.
>
> CD / USB
> ------------------------
> I would like to get rid of the 3 disk CD installer, and instead make
> just a small "boot-only" CD-ROM, which can then install PC-BSD 8.0 via
> FTP across the net, or local mirror. Ditto with USB, I would like to
> keep the boot-only USB image we use now, and just set it up to install
> via network.

Dear Sir,

I'd like to see the LiveUSB & full installer image for the next releases of PC-BSD, as I had troubles with installing the PC-BSD previous releases from the DVD drive... I still need it. I did successfully install the previous releases of PC-BSD from the USB pen drive instead of the DVD drive.
The USB stick has some benefits over the DVD... I don't need to burn another DVD (which I could not use) for each new PC-BSD release, just reuse the same USB stick I have for the previous release for the new release image. The other benefits are no worry of scratch, easier to bring anywhere, etc.
I'm waiting to see the new PC-BSD 8.x release soon. I have used PC-BSD since the 1.3 version. Thanks.

Timothy Yanni
Jakarta, Indonesia