[Installer] PC-BSD 8 installer (long)

Scott Ullrich sullrich at gmail.com
Tue May 19 10:27:22 PDT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com> wrote:

> This weekend I had a chance to sit down and try to think out how our new
> installer should work for PC-BSD 8.x. Below is kind what I've come up
> with, to meet our requirements, and those suggested by users. Feel free
> to read and send your comments of what you like / don't like, or think
> we should add.
>
> LiveDVD
> ------------------------
> I would like to setup 8.0 to be both a LiveDVD, and installer all rolled
> into one. The idea is that at the FreeBSD boot menu, we'll have various
> options, like "LiveDVD" or "InstallOnly". When running the LiveDVD, we
> can also provide a link on the desktop to the installer, which allows
> the user to install directly from it. Install Only will be much faster
> to boot, and do an install of course, and may work better on systems
> which aren't capable of running KDE4 direct from DVD.
>
> CD / USB
> ------------------------
> I would like to get rid of the 3 disk CD installer, and instead make
> just a small "boot-only" CD-ROM, which can then install PC-BSD 8.0 via
> FTP across the net, or local mirror. Ditto with USB, I would like to
> keep the boot-only USB image we use now, and just set it up to install
> via network.
>
> Installation Options
> ------------------------
> I would like to offer 3 types of installation from the installer.
>
> * Desktop - Regular PC-BSD KDE4 desktop
> * Server - PC-BSD which defaults to fluxbox instead of KDE4, and set's
> up SSH / other services
> * FreeBSD - Installs a regular FreeBSD 8.0 system, same as regular
> FreeBSD isos, except done via our nice installer :)
>

> Installation Process
> -----------------------
>
> Here's what I'm thinking we should do for the actual installation
> program flow:
>
>  * Locale Selection (We may be able to skip license stuff, since BSD
> license doesn't require us to agree and I can move nvidia license to
> only require user to accept if they use it specifically)
>  * Select install type / options
>      - Desktop, Server, FreeBSD
>      - Fresh, Upgrade, Repair
>      - Install from DVD or Network
>  * Select disk / partition to install to and do any advanced partioning
>  * Select optional components. (Add PBIs, or KDE components, or
> Source/Ports on FreeBSD install)
>  * Setup User / Password (Only on FreeBSD Install, explained below)
>  * Perform Installation
>
> Then after the Desktop / Server installation is performed:
>
>    * Boot to a custom PC-BSD Welcome Screen
>    * Set Locale (If we did OEM-scripted install and skipped this setup)
>    * Ask user to set root-password and setup user accounts
>    * Ask user to set Xorg resolution / drivers, similar to how we do now
>

> Installation Guts
>
> Here's were we get down to the guts of the installation itself.

> [...]

BSDInstaller does everything you outlined now.   I recently added a
Recovery Console to pfSense which allows one to invoke the rescue
option or the full installer on bootup.

The only thing that I am not too sure of is the hybrid backend /
frontend.   BSDInstaller seperates all logic into the backend and the
frontends basically focus on presenting the backend data to the user.

Scott