[PC-BSD Dev] Gnome 3 mimetypes possible fix for PBI's

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Feb 24 11:59:26 PST 2014

On 02/24/2014 13:39, Joe Maloney wrote:
> I've noticed this behavior for a long time with PBI's and Gnome 3.
>  Basically PBI's can't be set as default unless they are added to
> mimeapps.list.  Which appears to be something that only Gnome based
> desktops might use from what I can tell?  Here is an example file
> where I have added several PBI's into the file.  I could modify this
> file under /usr/local/share/applications (globally) or my home
> directory .local/share/applications.
>
> https://github.com/pkgdemon/freebsd-pkgdemon/blob/master/examples/gnome-mime-types/mimeapps.list-sample
>
> You will see in this file I've added mime types for things like the
> web browser, which I had installed at the time via a PBI in an older
> version of PCBSD.  I'm wondering if it might not be a bad idea to
> create like a template /usr/local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
> that get's added with pc-extractoverlay that just has all of the
> common browsers, mail clients, etc.  This way a user could go into
> system-settings details within gnome and select a default browser and
> so on just like they could with a package.  I'm not entirely sure this
> will work yet or if I can add more than one entry per type in
> mimeapps.list.  I wanted to see if you guys might have any knowledge
> of it first and see what your thoughts were or if anyone might know of
> another way to solve this?
>
> Joe Maloney

I've had to do this in the past, so if GNOME requires it then it
shouldn't be to much of a problem to do it again. Feel free to commit a
fix to the pc-extractoverlay/ports-overlay directory with a sane list of
"defaults" in /usr/local/share/applications/mimeapps.list. We can then
test it in the Edge package set for a while, make sure it doesn't break
any other DE's.