[PC-BSD Dev] Gnome 3 mimetypes possible fix for PBI's

Joe Maloney jmaloney at pcbsd.org
Mon Feb 24 10:39:13 PST 2014

I've noticed this behavior for a long time with PBI's and Gnome 3.
 Basically PBI's can't be set as default unless they are added to
mimeapps.list.  Which appears to be something that only Gnome based
desktops might use from what I can tell?  Here is an example file where I
have added several PBI's into the file.  I could modify this file under
/usr/local/share/applications (globally) or my home directory
.local/share/applications.

https://github.com/pkgdemon/freebsd-pkgdemon/blob/master/examples/gnome-mime-types/mimeapps.list-sample

You will see in this file I've added mime types for things like the web
browser, which I had installed at the time via a PBI in an older version of
PCBSD.  I'm wondering if it might not be a bad idea to create like a
template /usr/local/share/applications/mimeapps.list that get's added with
pc-extractoverlay that just has all of the common browsers, mail clients,
etc.  This way a user could go into system-settings details within gnome
and select a default browser and so on just like they could with a package.
 I'm not entirely sure this will work yet or if I can add more than one
entry per type in mimeapps.list.  I wanted to see if you guys might have
any knowledge of it first and see what your thoughts were or if anyone
might know of another way to solve this?

Joe Maloney