[PC-BSD Dev] Fwd: pkg and EVENT_PIPE

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Tue Feb 18 14:04:40 PST 2014

Yuri,
I just finished putting together a new class in libpcbsd utils - DLProcess.
You should be able to just use instances of it for your PBI/PKG
downloads now, but I have not done a full testing of it yet to make sure
it works properly (I will need to pick a utility and convert it to use
the new class first).

Couple quick notes about usage:
1) Make sure you run the "setWardenDir()" function before "setDLType()"
if the parent app is running in a warden jail.
2) There are 3 different types of downloads it handles: "PBI" for the
pbi_* downloads, "PKG" for package downloads, and "CDN" for running
other PC-BSD CLI utilities that download things from the CDN.

Example use:

-----------------
DLProcess *proc = new DLProcess(this);
   proc->setWardenDir("path/to/warden/jail"); //If necessary
   proc->setDLType("PBI"); // [ "PBI", "PKG", or "CDN" ]
     connect(proc, SIGNAL(UpdateMessage(QString)), this,
SLOT(newMessage(QString)) ); //A single-line message
     connect(proc, SIGNAL(UpdatePercent(QString,QString,QString)), this,
SLOT(updateProgressBar(QString, QString, QString)) ); // output=[Percent
Finished, Total Size (Human readable), Filename (for pkg output) or
download speed (for PBI/CDN) ]
   proc->start("pbi_add -R firefox");
-----------------

Of course, you will want to make sure that you connect it to your GUI
slots as appropriate as well as keep the DLProcess pointer in memory
while it is being used.

I hope this helps!!

On 02/18/2014 10:50, Ken Moore wrote:
> On 02/18/2014 10:34, Yuri Momotiuk wrote:
>>

>> Hi, Ken

>> <mailto:ken at pcbsd.org>>:
>>
>>     Exactly my thoughts too.
>>     Just use a more generic naming method for the libpcbsd backends
>>     instead of labeling them by the primary front-end that uses it
>>     (so PBI-DB instead of AppCafeBackend, since it is just how to
>>     access the PBI database, or something along those lines).
>>

>> I agree with that.
>>

>>     I also agree that we could put a couple small GUI widgets or
>>     display windows in libpcbsd as well. Again, just make sure they
>>     are generic enough to be used in multiple locations.
>>

>> I think about several libs with backends and widgets. Like libPBI.so,
>> libPBIWidgets.so, etc IMHO libpcbsd should contain only general
>> things like new QProcess, Utils class, etc
>>
>>     This might be a good way to unify the PC-BSD application icon
>>     scheme as well. Instead of having each utility bundle it's own
>>     copy of the icons, we could have a single libpcbsd icon resource
>>     with a simplified front-end function to get a type of icon.
>>     Something along the same lines as the EasyPBI backend.cpp
>>     "icon(QString name)" function would work well I think.
>>

>> About icons. Maybe the better solution is just putting icons somewere
>> in /usr/local/share/pcbsd/ . In that case we can change icon set 'on
>> the fly' without recompilation. We also can have several icon sets.
>> Or even icon sets from users.
>>

> That sounds like a good way to do it. I am not sure if an internal Qt
> resource will work for a library anyway (have not tested that). The
> static function interface to the PC-BSD icons is definitely the way to
> go then.
>
>> PS Can we continue discussion tomorrow (or maybe later)? Seems like
>> this night will be hot in Kiev :(
>> --
>> Best regards, Yuri Momotyuk
>>

> Sure thing. Have a good evening!