[PC-BSD Dev] Fwd: pkg and EVENT_PIPE

Yuri Momotiuk yurkis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 07:34:23 PST 2014

Hi, Ken

 Exactly my thoughts too.
> Just use a more generic naming method for the libpcbsd backends instead of
> labeling them by the primary front-end that uses it (so PBI-DB instead of
> AppCafeBackend, since it is just how to access the PBI database, or
> something along those lines).

I agree with that.

> I also agree that we could put a couple small GUI widgets or display
> windows in libpcbsd as well. Again, just make sure they are generic enough
> to be used in multiple locations.

I think about several libs with backends and widgets. Like libPBI.so,
libPBIWidgets.so, etc IMHO libpcbsd should contain only general things like
new QProcess, Utils class, etc

> This might be a good way to unify the PC-BSD application icon scheme as
> well. Instead of having each utility bundle it's own copy of the icons, we
> could have a single libpcbsd icon resource with a simplified front-end
> function to get a type of icon. Something along the same lines as the
> EasyPBI backend.cpp "icon(QString name)" function would work well I think.

About icons. Maybe the better solution is just putting icons somewere in
/usr/local/share/pcbsd/ . In that case we can change icon set 'on the fly'
without recompilation. We also can have several icon sets. Or even icon
sets from users.

PS Can we continue discussion tomorrow (or maybe later)? Seems like this
night will be hot in Kiev :(
--
Best regards, Yuri Momotyuk

--