[PC-BSD Dev] [pcbsd] Updated pc-pkgmanager to follow our new GUI guidelines. Removed close button at bottom of main screen. (d18dfae)

Josh Smith joshms at pcbsd.org
Wed Feb 12 10:26:03 PST 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [pcbsd] Updated pc-pkgmanager to follow our new GUI
guidelines. Removed close button at bottom of main screen. (d18dfae)
Date: 	Wed, 12 Feb 2014 13:23:06 -0500
From: 	Josh Smith <joshms at pcbsd.org>
To:
reply+c-5355049-4a719b015a2d9ef0f20d1cf1a8f75c42f795b1b0-6586006 at reply.github.com

It sounds like we are on the same page on a lot of this Yuri. I'll be
putting up a "rough draft" of my thoughts on the layout and we can
change it as we refine our ideas and practices.  I've also notated some
thoughts below.

Best Regards,

Josh

On 02/12/2014 12:32, Kris Moore wrote:
> On 02/12/2014 12:25, Yuri Momotyuk wrote:
> >
> > Can we discuss about that? I have few remarks:
> > 1. About icon theme. I ususally use KDE default icons (for example
> > settings icon). That is full, well designed icon pack in single style.
> > That icons looks good and natively in KDE and in Qt4 apps in common
> > case. Also if we choose to use another settings icon I will should to
> > repaint control panel icon (blended PC-BSD and settings icons) for
> example
> >
> You are talking about the "oxygen" theme right?
>
> /usr/local/share/icons/oxygen
>
> That's where I've been pulling most of my icons from.
Agreed.  Most of the icons we have been using have been coming from
here, but somehow i ended up with an icon for settings that is not
(although that can be easily remedied).  At any rate the icons from the
KDE "oxygen" theme look good and seem to make the most sense.

> > 2. I have some things about pairs of buttons (depends on semantics of
> > action):
> > Apply/Close - if changes win causes some /actions/ immediately
> > Ok/Cancel - for dialogs in common case
> > Save/Close - in 'single window' settings utils (when 'close' button
> > causes application exit)
> > Also we may think about 'defaults' buttons
> > Maybe we can discuss about that in dev at list?

I agree with the above statements.  I was talking with Kris and Ken and
it seems like the general consensus is (and correct me if i'm wrong):

Apply - Applies settings and leaves window open.
Close - Closes program without applying settings
OK - Closes dialogue window and saves settings (i.e. appcafe settings)
Cancel - Closes dialogue window without applying settings
Save - Saves Settings and closes window