[PC-BSD Dev] PCBSD Disk Manager updated on github

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Sep 9 05:35:21 PDT 2013

On 09/06/2013 13:43, Claudio L. wrote:
> Kris,
> On 09/05/2013 15:35, Kris Moore wrote:
>> I think this is a good idea. Once it hits our git tree, I'll see
>> about incorporating it over :) As for the disk manager, I just
>> checked it out, looks really cool! Few notes: When it first launches,
>> there is about a 4-5 second delay before items show up.
> It takes about one second or less on my system (VirtualBox VM running
> on AMD Turion from 2009), so I was expecting a much better performance
> on other systems. I'll add a "wait..." legend.

Well, this is on real-hardware, but the biggest factor here is that I
have dozens of snapshots / datasets on the box, and the more you have,
the longer it takes to get "zfs list -t snapshot" to respond, over 5-10
seconds in some cases :)

>> Maybe use a QSplashScreen during startup, that way it doesn't show
>> until the GUI is ready? On the "ZFS Filesystems" tab, I have a bunch
>> of snapshots and such listed. But I can't see the names, nor drag the
>> Filesystems|Status columns over to change the size. (See attached)
>
> There's code in the form constructor to set the Status column to
> "ResizetoContents", and the other column to stretch. It works well
> here (tested on XFCE, not KDE), I'll have to investigate what could be
> causing it on your system (maybe a different build of Qt?).

Its the latest QT 4.8.4 from our PKG repo. I don't mind if it doesn't
resize automatically, since I have some VERY long datasets / ZFS
snapshot names. However if you can enable the "grip" between the columns
so I can manually resize it would work just fine.