[PC-BSD Dev] PCBSD Disk Manager updated on github

Claudio L. claudio at hpgcc3.org
Fri Sep 6 10:43:01 PDT 2013

Kris,
On 09/05/2013 15:35, Kris Moore wrote:
> I think this is a good idea. Once it hits our git tree, I'll see about
> incorporating it over :) As for the disk manager, I just checked it
> out, looks really cool! Few notes: When it first launches, there is
> about a 4-5 second delay before items show up.
It takes about one second or less on my system (VirtualBox VM running on
AMD Turion from 2009), so I was expecting a much better performance on
other systems. I'll add a "wait..." legend.

> Maybe use a QSplashScreen during startup, that way it doesn't show
> until the GUI is ready? On the "ZFS Filesystems" tab, I have a bunch
> of snapshots and such listed. But I can't see the names, nor drag the
> Filesystems|Status columns over to change the size. (See attached)

There's code in the form constructor to set the Status column to
"ResizetoContents", and the other column to stretch. It works well here
(tested on XFCE, not KDE), I'll have to investigate what could be
causing it on your system (maybe a different build of Qt?).

> On the CD drive it gives options to create MBR / GPT partition tables,
> not sure if you need that.
Yes, that needs work.

> Aside from that it seems pretty cool. Just minor things like missing
> ToolTips and such, but those can be added easily. Once you think its
> is a workable enough state go ahead and commit it, or send over a pull
> request for us to do it. You can even flag it as "beta" in the title
> if you think it needs additional testing and I'm sure the community
> will give you tons of feedback. BTW, the new Life-Preserver does ZFS
> replication tasks, so you probably don't need to worry about the
> replication functionality :)
Good to know.

Thanks for the feedback.

Claudio