[PC-BSD Dev] PCBSD Disk Manager updated on github

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Sep 5 12:35:23 PDT 2013

On 09/01/2013 17:41, Claudio L. wrote:
> On 09/01/2013 11:25, Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:
>>

>> I haven't tested this yet, but a thought is can there be a button under
>> the advanced options.. in the PC-BSD installer that launches this tool?
>>
>> not only would it be handy, but it is a very good place to enable
>> people to test this.
>> Sam Fourman Jr.
> I'm merely contributing this to the community, so I can't decide that.
> If the PCBSD maintainers judge this program useful I'm sure they will.
> Using it on the live DVD could potentially be very useful.
>
> Claudio

I think this is a good idea. Once it hits our git tree, I'll see about
incorporating it over :)

As for the disk manager, I just checked it out, looks really cool!

Few notes:

When it first launches, there is about a 4-5 second delay before items
show up. Maybe use a QSplashScreen during startup, that way it doesn't
show until the GUI is ready?

On the "ZFS Filesystems" tab, I have a bunch of snapshots and such
listed. But I can't see the names, nor drag the Filesystems|Status
columns over to change the size. (See attached)

On the CD drive it gives options to create MBR / GPT partition tables,
not sure if you need that.

Aside from that it seems pretty cool. Just minor things like missing
ToolTips and such, but those can be added easily. Once you think its is
a workable enough state go ahead and commit it, or send over a pull
request for us to do it. You can even flag it as "beta" in the title if
you think it needs additional testing and I'm sure the community will
give you tons of feedback.

BTW, the new Life-Preserver does ZFS replication tasks, so you probably
don't need to worry about the replication functionality :)