[PC-BSD Dev] [PC-BSD Testing] First 10-STABLE images now available

Joe Maloney jpm820 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 06:48:57 PDT 2013

Kris,
correct the DVD does boot grub and into the installer normally. I've
used the method you posted below for getting an arch linux install to
work on the same hardware.  In theory this should work. Refind does not
detect grub on the zfs volume I have to either install it on a fat32
partition or copy it over manually to an HFS+ partition but that is a
seperate issue I think that can be fixed in refind later.  However mount
a fat32 partition under /boot/efi and install grub with this command
refind will see it.

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=grub --recheck --debug

However it will give an error about not being able to find
hardisk:gpt1.  I know I've gotten this to work in the past with arch
linux using the extra fat32 partition.  Not ideal I just wanted to see
if I could get it to work at all before trying to look into fixing
refind to see grub on the pcbsd zfs partition.

I did notice one thing however although I'm not sure why it would be
related to the error above.  When running grub-mkconfig -o
/boot/grub/grub.cfg after generating the grub.cfg the file does not look
right.  I mean that it doesn't seem to show the kfreebsd stuff to load
the kernel and the normal, single user mode entries, etc. I've tried
looking through the pc-sysinstall unmount portion of the source first on
github to see if anything special was being done other than the above
command.  Is this anything you might know about as far as why it might
not be listing the kfreebsd stuff in grub.cfg?

Joe Maloney