[PC-BSD Dev] [PC-BSD Testing] First 10-STABLE images now available

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Fri Oct 25 12:41:22 PDT 2013

On 10/25/2013 09:23, Joe Maloney wrote:
> Does this mean that grub might be replaced in the future for PCBSD
> 10-RELEASE?
>
> Joe Maloney

Not for 10 it looks like. The current loader still has plenty of
catching up to do to provide the same functionality and I don't think
it'll get in for 10.0.

The plan going forward is to keep GRUB the default, but provide the
option of picking loaders via the disk wizard / advanced menus, so that
we can test out new BSD loader functionality as it becomes available.
Assuming it does get all the necessary functionality, we will then
evaluate it vs GRUB, and decide if/when we make it the default loader
again. However I still plan on offering GRUB via the installer, since
some people may prefer it, and it may work better in certain situations.