[PC-BSD Dev] pbi10 and pbidir.com

Paul Stanton paul at stanton.name
Tue Oct 22 15:53:42 PDT 2013

I apologize for interjecting, but I don't think that app <install> would be
more intuitive (It is somewhat ambiguous.) - and begs the question of how
intuitive command names have to be for command-line users.  (Something like
"download", "get" or simply "pbi" may be preferable - since "install" is
already taken.)

Additionally, I'm not sure if a pbidir site would be much better than the
current AppCafe system with a couple new features (except that people not
running PC-BSD could easily view that pbis, information about them,
reviews, etc.)  While it's possible perhaps to view things in the google
play store via web page, that's not something that's universal.  For
example, the Windows 8 store does not use a website. I don't think (I may
be wrong) that the App store has much as far as a website interface for
their "store."  Additionally, the google play store is primarily accessible
via website to get apps for one's browser and send apps to one's phone via
computer (where it's easier to search and research apps).  Moving more
towards a purely web-based solution may also cause problems when people
attempt to use non-standard browsers.  (I do love using links.)

Just my two cents.

Paul