[PC-BSD Dev] RECENT - Patch available for v9.1

Curt Dox tigersharke at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 08:06:16 PDT 2013

Hey there, thought this might be something worth knowing. It looks like a
memory leak has been solved and is available without KMS patches (meaning
it solves that problem without adding incomplete KMS support). For those
AMD folks out there-
**From FreeBSD AMD_GPU wiki page <https://wiki.freebsd.org/AMD_GPU> as of
today (2013-03-29 16:26:41)

> Current status (2013-03-29) J.R. Oldroyd solved the leak issue on FreeBSD
> 9.1: vm_page_alloc_contig() was only partially merged. Now that he
> backported the missing bits, everything's fine. His patch, without the
> drm2/ttm/radeon changes, is available online<http://people.freebsd.org/%7Edumbbell/radeonkms/radeon-sys-9.1.diff>
> .

This is important to me because I prefer to use AMD graphics whether
integrated Radeon 3100 or added Sapphire Cyprus model card.  I personally
do not feel qualified (*and do not choose to do so even with step-by-step
instructions*) to properly patch the correct files, so I leave it up to
those with more intimate knowledge of PC-BSD (FreeBSD).  Many of use AMD
graphics folks choose NOT to buy another video card (nVidia) and are
willing to tolerate VESA until KMS is completed for us.  The rest of the
AMD folks who do not switch may solve the issue in other ways.