[PC-BSD Dev] PC-BSD scripting langiage... again

Torsten Eichstädt torsten.eichstaedt at web.de
Fri Mar 29 15:01:09 PDT 2013

Add to the Cons for Lua: non-obvious syntax for exception handling
Add to the Pros for Lua: easy to find s/o to do programming
 (game junkie -- if you can manage to get him off his game)

Add to the Pros for Perl: (said to) provide "DWIM" (Do what I mean)

Add: JavaScript
Pro: Clean syntax for exception handling
Pro: Easy to find s/o to do programming (web developer)
PRO: Libraries/Frameworks to write TESTS (!!!) to catch bugs before the
customer sees them
PRO: Web-Centrism seems to pass away: it's built-in QML, thus config apps
written in/with QML can easily share (and import *on demand*) code written in
JS.  QML looks very attractive to write GUIfied config apps.
Con?: Available libs are web-centric?

I'm _biased_ against JS (it's the PaintMonkey's language ;)), but honestly I
have to say that the deeper I dig into programming languages, the more I
prefer JS over other scripting languages.  The only competitor IMHO is Python,
but my feeling is that it's too heavy and more error-prone than JS.

The language for config handling should be easy to learn, simple, lean/slim,
not error-prone/robust, but still powerful.

I consider "find s/o to do programming" an important requirement, so bigger
customers like schools, companies,... can adjust PC-BSD to their special
needs.
--
=|o)